Subject Re: [Firebird-general] pro&contra
Author Aage Johansen
Dmitry Yemanov wrote:
> Aage Johansen wrote:
>
>> migration from Firebird to Sybase
>
> There are three completely different DBMS produced by Sybase: ASA, ASE
> and IQ. It could be helpful to mention which one do you talk about :-)
>
> Dmitry

I assume ASE (or ASA) - don't know/remember. I think IQ was
discussed, but that was years ago - I haven't followed those projects
closely. I try to check (but will not be able to use this NG until
after the weekend).

BTW, I agree with Milan. However, they most likely won't accept the
notion that the product has no (great) future. It seemed (a couple
of years ago?) that the end was quite near, but numbers to support
this isn't easily available (to me). Whether they will use MS or
Sybase isn't terribly interesting to me, I just want them to keep off
the systems running Firebird.

It seems to me that a migration will involve a lot of resources over
a long period just to convert applications (and databases) only to
arrive at having to dedicate more manpower (for running/maintaining)
and money (for licences): a lot of work for negative gain.

I might suggest to them to think about moving their systems to MS SQL
Server (and stop listening to Sybase sales FUD).

--
Aage J.