Subject Re: [Firebird-general] Re: Make a wiki and centralize all info about firebird there
Author John Armstrong
While I think a wiki is a great thing its really not the problem. The issue
to me is search profile. Where the information is stored is not relevant, we
all use Google anyhow. The key is the get better information out there and
centralization at a wiki level is only one way to accomplish this and
possibly not the best if we agree that the only user we care about is the
GoogleBot. No one goes to a website to get information, they just ask
Google. Increasingly people are realizing that their only real customer is
Google and this applies even more so to open source projects.

Towards this I think one problem with the Firebird community is that it is
-too- structured. I know that sounds odd but when I think about where I find
my information its rarely from a 'documentation' site, its almost always on
some wiki or blog or whatnot and it tends to be someone posting something
about their experience etc. And I always find it via Google. I don't even
bother to bookmark anymore and I think this is becoming more and more
common.

An avenue towards increasing our profile is if we just all made a commitment
to post regularly in our personal blogs about what we are doing with
firebird, problems we solved that week etc. No matter how mundane it all
helps increase the profile of the project and serves. I think this might be
a seed to plant that sprouts.

Anyhow, controversial, don't flame me too much
John-