Subject Re: [Firebird-general] stop-sign problems
Author Lester Caine
Helen Borrie wrote:

> At 12:09 PM 14/04/2006, you wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am still lurking on this list. But I decided to comment, I also had
>>strange things happen after the most recent Microsoft update. I found that I
>>couldn't access certain directories from Word.
>
> Interesting - (Win2K SP4) - I have the same problem with Word AND
> with the Windows Search tool.

So is that the W2k updates or office?
Still running W2k on all the main machines, only got XP on the laptops
where it was impossible to get the W2k drivers :(
As I've never used office ... OpenOffice replaced Lotus(Ami Pro) some
time ago ;)

>>I rolled back the update
>>after seeing your post and all is well now. So something went wrong with the
>>Microsoft update.
>
> Yup. I might end up rolling back the update as well. :-( But
> first, I think I'll try turning off the file indexing. Without the
> indexing, Word is very slow finding stuff but at least it doesn't
> hang completely as it's doing now.

That is something that got turned of here in SP3, I forget why now, but
it solved a number of problems with non-Mircosoft programs!

Just working next door on a machine that goes haywire when you start IE
:( - Paul works for an American company who insist that IE must be used,
but a Virus/Trojan has got through Kapersky, Norton and stop-sign!
Moz is running fine, so I've managed to recover something and get him
working again until I can wipe IE :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL