Subject Re: More horror, was Re: [Firebird-general] stop-sign problems
Author Aage Johansen
Helen Borrie wrote:
> Last night local time I took the latest Windows updates (I have
> auto-update switched off and get a flashing button instead). After
> letting it install and rebooting as directed, I found my system was
> hosed. All attempts to boot normally resulted in a a non-terminating
> loop consisting of a BSOD, message 0x0000007F (0x00000008, etc,,
> etc.) and the message UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP, followed by a
> core-dump, followed by a shutdown and restart.

Do you know which part(s) of the "updates" that did the "hosing"?
I've currently a bunch of updates waiting to be installed:
. Cumulativ Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP (KB912812)
. Cumulativ Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB911567)
. Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)
. Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562)
. Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2006 (KB890830)

Although updates caused (obvious) troubles up to now, I am somewhat
reluctant to install the current ones.
I don't use IE or OE, and might not need the last one (Windows
Malicious Software Removal Tool). Maybe a "Windows Removal Tool"
would be a good idea...

I'm running WinXP Pro SP2, with NVIDIA GeForce 6600.

--
Aage J.