Subject Re: [Firebird-general] Re: Firebird money matters
Author Paul Reeves
On Monday 27 February 2006 12:13, paulruizendaal wrote:

> On Windows, would it make sense to install an additional html file
> (into FB root) which makes the case for voluntary payment (with
> links 'n' all) and adding a desktop icon for this file? Deleting a
> desktop icon is not a great burden on the user, so should be
> acceptable.

I don't see a problem with adding a shortcut and a html file to the
install kit.

> This html page could also offer advertising space to interested
> parties. If relevant and done discretely (like the paid links on google
> searches), users would probably not experience them as irritating.

The 'challenge' such as it is would be to force the links to be routed via
a server somewhere that counted the clicks. It doesn't sound like a big
deal but someone would need to set it up and maintain it.

> The Foundation could make available binary installers that do not
> install this html page to vendors that contribute, need a 'clean'
> install and are too busy to do their own installer.

I don't like the idea of different install kits proliferating. For as
start they have to be built and hosted somewhere. As everything is open
source anyway I doubt we would gain much benefit from 'special' kits. If
vendors want to suppress the file and the link it would be easy enough
for them to do via the install script they create for their own
application.

Paul
--
Paul Reeves