Subject Re: [Firebird-general] Re: So much for Mozilla dropping Firebird
Author Helen Borrie
> > > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/roadmap.html

At 04:49 PM 1/08/2003 +0000, Brendan Eich (Mozilla high-up - see
http://www.mozilla.org/about/stafflist.html#Staff-Members)
promised:

> > > That document does not conform to the Mozilla branding document we
> > > published during 1.4 (http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap/branding.html).
> > > I'll make sure it gets fixed to use the right name. Sorry about that.

Brendan, four weeks have elapsed since you said this, but it is not fixed yet.

>--- In Firebird-general@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Tonies" <m.tonies@u...>
>wrote:

> > How about the message about Firebird being a project code-name?
> > What's the current story on that? Wasn't it to be dropped as of
> > June/July 2003?

Brendan replied:

>Although Mozilla 1.4 released, the Mozilla 1.5 trunk (moving toward
>beta) is still building and distributing the integrated app-suite, and
>even without Netscape, we have a bunch of people (volunteers and at
>several companies) still working on that "browser".
>
>Plus, we have been extremely busy getting the Mozilla Foundation set
>up, planning machine moves, etc. The timing of more branding changes
>depends on a lot of things that haven't happened yet. I will report
>back here when I have more solid information.

Meanwhile, nothing more has happened and Mozilla continues to push into our
brand space. From the roadmap:

"Release Plan

As outlined in the Mozilla project
<http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html>roadmap, the Mozilla Firebird browser
will eventually replace the Seamonkey browser as the default Mozilla
browser release. As part of the journey towards that goal, from milestone
0.7 onward Firebird 0.x releases will occur at the same time (or
approximately the same time). A branch will be made for each Firebird
milestone and stability updates (0.x.x releases) will be made from these
branches.

As we predict more work required for a 1.0 moniker than remaining
milestones left, after Firebird 0.9 we will continue numbering in the 0.10,
0.11, 0.12... style. This prevents us from overloading the 0.x.x numbering
system, leaving it for incremental updates based on 0.x branches."

Please google "firebird". Two entries for Mozilla ahead of ours, and one
following which takes you to http://texturizer.net/firebird/:

Mozilla Firebird

Mozilla Firebird is a free, open-source web browser for Windows, Linux and
MacOS X. It is small, fast and easy to use, and offers many advantages over
other web browsers, such as the <features.htm>tabbed browsing and the
ability to <features.htm>block pop-up windows. Read the full
<features.htm>feature list or
<http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/release-notes.html>download
Mozilla Firebird 0.6 now.

<http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/why/>Find out why people
everywhere are switching to Firebird.

Brendan, it is now more than four months since you and your project
colleagues announced your plans to take our name and use it to identify
your product. That you have been continuously aware of our objections can
not be in any doubt. The actual and potential erosion of our name
recognition was obvious but you persuaded us to take the heat off by
promising not to use the Firebird moniker without prepending "Mozilla" and
by undertaking to cease using "Firebird" by mid-June.

Instead of honouring its undertakings, Mozilla continues to push harder
into our brandspace.

Please comment, stating staff@...'s current position regarding its
intentions.

Thank you.