Subject Re: [Firebird-general] Firebird and Hyperthreading
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:07 PM 20/11/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>This has probably been hashed-out before, but should you use
>Hyperthreading with Firebird?

It's been hashed out before, on the support list.
<witch hat on>
This list isn't for support, though, so join firebird-support if you have
any other questions.
<witch hat off>

>I think I've been told pretty
>definitively that hyperthreading should be turned off for Interbase
>Open Source. I suspect it's the same with Firebird. Is Firebird 1.5
>any better than 1.0 in this regard?

In the v.1.0 releasenotes we warned to disable it at bios level for Windows
Superserver. This still seems needed for 1.5, though there have been one
or two reports that it worked OK on some HT-capable systems. We don't have
any test-bench for it though.

The problem never seemed to exist on Linux. Other platforms I've heard
nothing about.

We've also had reports that, on some HT-capable hardware, HT doesn't
see-saw with Windows Classic (new in 1.5).

So I changed the warning in the 1.5 releasenotes to something like
"hyperthreading might cause problems..."

Helen