Subject Re: [IBDI] Re: IBConsole
Author Paul Schmidt
On 9 Apr 2002 at 1:44, Helen Borrie wrote:

> At 11:32 AM 08-04-02 -0400, Paul Schmidt wrote:
>
> >However the executables available are subject to the IBO tablename
> >problem,
>
> Do you gMarathon guys need updated IBO? I thought Marco Menardi was
> there, looking after such things....
>
> > and
> >D3 isn't fully supported, so Marathon will be a good option later on.

I meant dialect 3, so far fields like Date, Time and Timestamp don't provide the
right results, and you can't use it to create a table using one of these field types. As
for what version of Delphi is used, well, I don't rightly know, I thought Gimbal used
5, but the Open Source folks could be using something else by now (Delphi 6
maybe?)

> Do you mean the gMarathon development is using Delphi 3? Why?
> The D3 problem is not a matter of "not supported", it is a bug in D3
> that it doesn't properly support object interfacing (iUnknown), which
> is used for the visual controls in IBO 4. It's a fairly fatal flaw,
> making D3 a bad choice.
>
> >An interesting option is IBQuery, it's about the same level of
> >functionality as
> >ibconsole, but without the problems, or the politics.
>
> I agree, IBQuery is a very elegant tool and I believe its owner was
> talking of making it an opensource project at some point.

That would be nice, it would also be nice to see a version that ran on some of the
Unix platforms.

PaulPaul Schmidt, President
Tricat Technologies
paul@...