Subject Re: [IBDI] Compare between PostgreSQL and Firebird
Author Ann W. Harrison
At 04:40 PM 2/27/2002 +0200, Pirtea Calin wrote:
>Many times users have asked about compares between PostgreSQL and Firebird.
>If i remember correctly there are none available. I would like to know
>if it is already done by someone because i have found none on the net.

To the best of my knowledge, there have been none.

>Since Firebird and PostgreSQL are quite diferent in too many ways
>i won't do some complicated database design and i try to use features
>that are similar in both RDBMS.

It would be great if you could list the differences as they
appear. People are interested in performance, but they're
also interested in productivity features and features that
reduce the cost of converting systems and experience from
other databases.

>I would also appreciate some hints
>into creating a test sample in such manner that it would be usefull for
>many users as a comparison for speed, number of features, and so on ...

Personally, I think that performance comparisons are of very little
value because no application is anything like a benchmark. However,
do try to use realistic data and queries - not just storing 100.000
duplicate records and counting them.

Regards,

ann