Subject RE: [IBDI] Re: GPL
Author Ann W. Harrison
At 09:16 PM 2/16/2002 -0500, Leyne, Sean wrote:
> > At least a new code-base could break free of the restrictive IPL!
> > (Assuming it doesn't use any code from the old sources.)
>
>That won't be true, the v2.0 is not a rewrite 'merely' a port code base,
>it is still substantially based on the v1.0 (and therefore bound be the
>IPL).
>
>As with the original code (v1.0), only new modules/contributions will be
>able to 'break free' of IPL.

Do we really want a muddle of incompatible licenses? For me, no way!
I want commercial developers like Lester to be comfortable using the
database in their products. I don't understand the implications of mixing
GPL, LGPL and Mozilla-style licenses and I've spent much of the past two
years studying them and being tutored by intellectual property lawyers.
If I were developing a program that I expected to sell, I'd use MSDE
before I'd risk my future with a muddled license.

Ann