Subject Re: About IBDI
Author markus.soell@bigfoot.com
Hi Adam,
I don't know about the situation in US, but basically, I got the
impression that Firebird is very internationally composed so it
doesn't necessarily need to be US based.

Apache is a foundation. In my HowTo I suggest to rather use an
association for Firebird.

I agree it's not really trivial, but the problems are not the cost
for the constitution, it's more organizational problems, finding a
way for the association to be operational with members so physically
distant located from one another.

A low number of members can fascilitate things somewhat. On the other
hand a certain number of members is needed for the stability and in
order for the "meritocracy" concept to work.

There are many questions of detail, but, at least in my country, cost
for constitution of such an association wouldn't be an issue.

The only actual cost is for registration in the "registry of
commerce" which is required if the association will have a commercial
activity with a certain turnover. In that case there are also
commercial accounting requirements, but it's not all that complicated.

However, the very international nature of the group makes that the
association would need some "specialties" ;)

Also the meritocracy aspect would merit some detailed study,
especially the question under what conditions members who don't
contribute to the project anymore would also leave the association.

As Mark said correctly, it's not an urgent issue. I really don't find
the time for such study the next 6 - 8 weeks, but could look at it
more closely after that and provide some more information, if that
should be of interest.

Best regards
Markus.

--- In IBDI@y..., "Adam Clarke" <Adam.Clarke@S...> wrote:
> Starting a US based Not For Profit Organisation is apparently quite
> expensive.
>
> The Apache people probably have someone who could give a few
pointers
> (www.apache.org)
>
> Also these guys are doing it right now...
> http://www.spindl3top.org/index.php
>
> They used a temporary commercial company to raise the funds
(selling things)
> to affort the Not for Profit setup costs.
>
> Cheers
> Adam

CDs
> > this looks like a good solution. So I think Firebird should give
this
> > a try and not sell CDs itself for the moment.
> >
> > > The question, is where should that money go? To developers I
> > > happen to like? To some organization unnamed? To Markus's new
> > > Mercedes?
> >
> > :)
> > In my opinion, since Firebird is independent and non-profit, it
would
> > be wise to give to the Firebird core a corporate structure
> > (Association), even if it doesn't intend to sell CDs at the
moment.
> > It will seek other forms of sponsoring or, who knows, receive
> > donations, and all such things cannot be handled properly without
> > corporate form.
> >
> > In the medium term this association should be founded and since
you
> > will of course (hopefully) be a member (President?), you will
> > yourself participate in the decision how the money of Firebird
shall
> > be used.
> >
> > Until then, well, who knows, maybe the Association exists before
you
> > start selling anything :)

> > their
> > >
> > > Wouldn't I jump at that opportunity! IBPhoenix is a fine name,
> > > but tied to the past (IB), and awkward to say. As I wrote
elsewhere,
> > > I answer the phone "Ann Harrison." I tried
answering "IBPhoenix"