Subject Re: [IBDI] IBPhoenix - article about IB6, certified, faq etc...
Author Fabricio Araujo
On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:43:43 -0400, Robert F. Tulloch wrote:

> This endless ranting that has gone on for months is a real detriment to both
>IB and Firebird and has the potential (if not already the effect) of turning
>potential users/contributors away from use/participation in this open source
>scenario.
>
> Given a while longer, I think Borland will realize it is in their best
>interest to provide binaries for download rather than let a bunch of folks
>build their own and "call" it IB. Eventually it will all come together into one,
>they control the testing and building of IB Open Source, all the open source
>folks contribute ideas and code and preliminary testing and it on big happy
>IB family with a known product identity. Of course this presupposes that the
>fanatics can get over the bitter feelings which are so slowly abating, if at all.

Simply let's Borland shoot their foot alone. If they make s*, who cares?
Firebird is Firebird. Interbase is Interbase. (The 'b' is "B" or "b" when refering
to the product? I never remember rightly). THEY made it this way, when they
neglected to give the IB product line and respective trademarks to Ann, Paul
and Jim.
OS initiative is on IBPhoenix, IBDI and SourceForge. TeamB is (AFAIK) welco-
med to participate, but's not required. Let's allow they rest on their laurels...
When they perceive the very big s* they are doing (and done in the past), maybe
someone will open the negotiation channel. (Believe me, I LOVE Borland's develop-
ment tools. But, in what is related to IB, pffffffffffffff........ This drive me nuts.
Our mission is to take FB to the edge, in tech, in business, state-of-the-art open-
-source database. Accessible, easy to use, robust, invisible, embedded, central...
At any point of view, FB original idea and concept is great. Make money with apps,
using the DB Server which we don't have to worry about bitching around for getting per-
formance.

[]s Fabricio
Systems Developer