Subject Re: [IBDI] Re: Comments on IBDI article I just posted...
Author Olivier Mascia
> If it is the Borland tree only, I'm outahere. They will find a way to kill
> the whole thing. As far as Borland was concerned, Interbase was dead one
> year ago. People from the community managed to save it, and yet were
> betrayed once again.

It is hard enough nowadays to want to 'sell' our choice of Interbase to customers.
Two falsely competing versions (hence trees) is one too much.
Now, that THE single tree remaining is the current FireBird or the current Borland does not change anything as long as there is only one and I do not really care which one.

Or another solution : definitely and totally fork/branch once and for all.
Call the product FireBird but call it that way everywhere.
Eliminate any and all traces of the name Borland and InterBase everywhere else in the code (except of course in the required licensing text in all existing code). And declare the branch as complete and non-reversable.

That will be the same net effect. One product, one code-tree. Today the branch is in place, though not effective because everybody tried to keep things close enough to maybe re-synch regularly. Bad idea on the long term. Work with Borland OR fork from Borland, but in that case, let's really do it once and for all. Today the situation is unclear. And that is not good. I think we agree on the idea.

Olivier Mascia, om@..., Senior Software Engineer
T.I.P. Group S.A., www.tipgroup.com, Director