Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Re: embedding Lua as procedural language
Author Jim Starkey
paulruizendaal wrote:
> However, Firebird provides an API to hook up any external language.
> Why don't you write the Lua and/or JavaScript plugin for that API? I
> think you can do the Lua version quite easily, say 1 week to
> understand the API and 1 week to hook up the Lua runtime.
>
> JavaScript may take longer, unless you already know how to embed
> them. I suppose you could use either the one obtained from Mozilla:
> http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/js/src/
> of from ECMA:
> http://www.ecmascript.org/
>
> Personally, I'd wait for Jim's JavaScript, because it will probably
> weigh in at around 250kB (including its std lib), which is
> significantly less than the above two choices and ballpark equal to
> Lua. Jim's probably writing Java, so you'll have to hook up a gcj lib
> to FB which may be a hurdle, I don't know.

Paul, I'm looking for something to layer on, not in, the engine. Or, in
other words, something to call the engine, not be called by the engine.

As for Java, you are probably aware that Netfrastructure has had an
embedded JVM from the beginning. A variant of the JVM will be going in
Nimbus when I get around to it. Embedded Java is a great deal more
powerful and efficient than a scripting language, but I still need a
scripting language that can return complex data to the client.

--
Jim Starkey
President, NimbusDB, Inc.