Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Re: embedding Lua as procedural language
Author Adriano dos Santos Fernandes
woodsmailbox wrote:
> Now just a curiosity hope I won't offend anyone with: Is anybody actually really
> interested in binding a hi-level language to the pl engine, be it Javascript, Lua or
> whatever?
First, Firebird language is PSQL, not pl/SQL. :-)

There is a project complete. A C++ API to the engine that you can create
external routines (procedure, functions and triggers) which do anything
(and more) that current PSQL routines can do.

And there is a Java engine almost complete coded towards this API to run
Java functions in the database as procedures/functions/triggers. If you
know C++ (you don't need to know FB code, just an API) you can work for
a Lua plugin.

You don't need even to convince anyone, just do it. :-) If it's good for
others, you can work with FB and Lua community to publish it.

If you don't know C++ and don't want to learn, you may even do it from
inside the Java engine. Or if anyone translate the external engines to
some other language (Dephi, for example, will not be difficult) you can
do it from there.

Adriano