Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] Database configuration (was: Group Commits)
Author Dmitry Yemanov
"Jim Starkey" <jas@...> wrote:

> In my mind, stuff stored in the database header page should be limited
> to things necessary to read the database -- page size, ods version,
> shadow names anem the like. Tuning and operational parameters -- number
> of buffers, sweep interval, file open mode, etc. -- should be specified
> in the configuration file to allow a dba to experiment with different
> settings.

We seem to be in agreement here. Two issues here:

1) Some people (especially those familiar with DB2/Oracle) want to have
SQL-level control over database tuning. This is a bit complicated in the
case of textual configuration file.
2) Currently, a database can be pre-configured for the required
behaviour/performance (buffers, FW, sweep interval) in nearly any
environment. This feature will be lost.

Does Vulcan support a separate config file per database and/or ability to
#include it in the server-wide config file? Or something similar?

> But it isn't feasible at this point for Firebird 2.0 to adopt the Vulcan
> configuration file system,

True.

> so there is no hurry in developing the guidelines.

1) Such the guidelines should be published in fb-devel (no new header page
clumpets are allowed).
2) Perhaps, the FB2 RelNotes should mention that some database parameters
are going to be deprecated in future versions in favour of the database-wide
configuration system.

Dmitry