Subject Re[6]: [Firebird-Architect] ORs in Where statement
Author Daniel Rail
Hello Sean,

Friday, June 13, 2003, 10:04:24 AM, you wrote:

>> No, that's not what I meant. What Doug was saying is that if, in the
>> UDF, there is a logging feature(as an example), by simply writing to a
>> text file, whenever the UDF is called.

LS> If one of my developers ever added that type of UDF to the operator of
LS> an IF statement, I would promptly take out to be shot!!!

LS> That would be one of the most mindless things I've ever heard of!

LS> You can place the logging UDF just ahead of the IF, or in the else of
LS> the IF, without needing to add it to the IF itself!

The UDF might perform some calculations and return a value that is
required in the IF, but also has that logging feature(who knows it
might be for debugging purposes). If you have more than one of those
type of UDFs in that expression evaluation, then all of them might
have to be executed, depending on the requirements of the project.

I know this is probably done by a minority of developers. And, I'm
with the majority, like you. Although, I can see the usefulness, but
doubt I would use it in a production environment.

--
Best regards,
Daniel