Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] XML
Author Jim Starkey
At 01:09 PM 4/16/03 +0000, Phil Shrimpton wrote:

> > Embedding a JVM into Firebird is an
> > ideal I've
> > been pushing for years, but so far, no takers.
>
>There are takers (from the user side), but I have no idea how feasible it
>would be to do, especially in a 'plugable' form

The problem with a general plug-in environment is that it is a security whole
so big your could drive a full Bush invasion through it. User loadable
executable
code in the engine is a very, very bad thing unless you have some way to bless
or sandbox the code. Embedding a JVM, provided you start with a more or
less working one with a suitable license, shouldn't be that bad. There are
a bunch of tweaks you'd want to make to, but most are in the JNI part of the
world. Depending on the JVM, there may be garbage collection issues,
but these can be worked around.

Jim Starkey