Subject RE: [IB-Architect] Circular Foreign Key Dependencies
Author David Berg
My view is outlaw circular dependencies. They're a pain. Consider:

1) They make initial table loads and restoring data very difficult.
2) They make deleting records very difficult.

Consider the relationship Jim suggested:

People: Reference Company
Company: Primary Contact references people

Since the primary contact for a company will almost always work for the
company, you can't delete the company without deleting the people in it, and
you can't delete the people in it without setting the primary contact to
NULL (which may not be a valid operation either)!

The solution is to use more than two tables to model the relationships.
There are several choices, two obvious ones are:

1) People
Company -> Primary Contact
CompanyPeople - Which people work for which companies

2) Company
People -> Company
PrimaryContacts -> Company, -> People

Of course, these can change the relationships (depending on which fields are
unique keys), but that's not necessarilly a bad thing.

Solution 1 could allow a person to work for more than one company (e.g. real
life). Solution 2 could allow more than one primary contact per company,
which would allow for different types of primary contacts (sales, marketing,
technical, etc).

A more difficult case is the exploding parts list and various other
outlines. These can be handled by putting the information in one table and
the relationships in another.

On the surface, this makes handling the tables seem much more complex;
however, there's no reason you can't build (updatable) views that make the
tables seem like a single table. Except for the limitations of the engine
to support updatable views... but that might be a better place to focus
efforts on improving the engine than on improving circular reference support
(which will always be a pain).

Dave Berg
DaveBerg@...