Subject Re: [IB-Architect] providers rejects interbase for hosting
Author Dmitry Kuzmenko
Hello, Vince!

Vince Duggan wrote:

> I can see their problem, but one should not allow anyone direct access to the
> database. If you do not have direct access, then you cannot execute the commands
> to create tables, databases etc. All database access is 'hidden' in the web app,
> i.e by using PHP, Perl or something similar.

I've pointed them that different applications will not know other database
names and so can't connect to them and fill with garbage objects.
Also I don't think that limiting disk space for FreeBSD is not a problem.

So, there was a misunderstanding of "Interbase providing" model, I think.

> It is simple enough to prevent anyone from connecting directly to the database
> from outside: block port 3050 for example.

of course. But, generally a question about limiting user rights to create
databases and connect to them was correct.

--
Dmitry Kuzmenko, Epsylon Technologies.