Subject Re: [IB-Architect] PostgreSQL 7 benchmark
Author Paul Gallagher
----- Original Message -----
From: Tim Uckun <tim@...>
To: <IB-Architect@egroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 12:02 AM
Subject: Re: [IB-Architect] PostgreSQL 7 benchmark
> >Lets try a benchmark with Interbase coupled with IBO, and watch it blow
the
> >doors off of Postgres. I don't care if its not an "apples to apples"
> >comparison or not. Its how the DB is being used in the real world.
>
> Unfortunately in the real world ODBC/ADO is king. Crystal reports, ASP,
> cold fusion, ms-access, excell etc all play a major role in how the
> database is being used. In the embedded apps it's not so important but
> trust me you'll want to say you can connect your data to ms-office.

Not really what I meant. I guess what I meant, is that IBO is probably the
"fastest" way to get Interbase to run. Even though Postgres was tested
"independantly", don't think for a second that it was not set up under the
best possible operation conditions. We need to do the same.

We all keep saying that all people look at is speed. They don't look at the
underlying reasons, or the other features. Well then, fight fire with fire.
Do a test with Interbase on a SINGLE processor, with affinity set property,
use IBO, optimized query plans, etc... Don't let Postgress run on
multi-processors. Don't bother optimizing it. Just plug it in and let it go,
because undoubtedlly, that is what this "independant" lab did to Interbase
and the rest of the competition. I guarantee Interbase will come out ahead.

Paul Gallagher