Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Re: Is it _really_ necessary to expose the
Author Bill Karwin

True... but you can get one for free at www.openldap.org. :)

> the idea of using more than one implementation, dns style, in order is good,
> but if i've got a choice installing a LDAP server (ie no option at all for
> many developers) or exposing my private paths, i'll hard code the string and
> be done with it!

This discussion is not about replacing the current method of supplying
full physical pathname to the database. I agree the traditional method
would probably be preferable for standalone applications.

I thought the principle need for aliases was for folks who have many
clients accessing a central database, which sounds like 'enterprise' to
me!

Regards,
Bill Karwin