Subject Re: [IB-Architect] IBX garant
Author John Huntjens
>No, IBX is part of the beta tests for both products and will ship in the
IDE,
>not as a companion CD type of thing.
>
>> What about testing ?
>
>Like I said it is part of the beta test for all the products.

But at some point, Borland will take the open source version and start
testing with this version. Perhaps at that point the code is changed in a
way that they even cannot implement it in Kylix. Now that it is open source,
Borland has no longer control of what is in or out. Anyway if they are
counting on the community of develloppers, nobody (except for yourself) will
contribute to the source, given the conditions.

Or will Borland devellop theire own version ?

It is hard to believe it will be going that way.

>> Will Borland contribute to the IBX community, or develloping there own
>> version of IBX for Kylix ?
>
>Changes to IBX for the products will be uploaded to the CVS for Interbase.
>will have check in rights on the Borland CVS and I have check in rights to
>Rob's.
>
>> And what if there is no client library, or an incompatible, for Linux,
who's
>> gonna put that in IBX ?
>
>There is a gds.so client for Linux. I don't know what you are asking here.
You
>have the source for IBX so if you have built a custom gds.so you can build
>custom IBX for Kylix.

Same story as above, the gds.so can be changed in a way ... etc.

>You are assuming that I am not version controlling this with Borland. Also
that
>there are no CVS updates too.

Well if it is open source, and the community want to contribute, the cvs
should be accessible for everyone, not yust you and Borland.
IMHO Borland open-sourced IBX to save on devellopment cost for IBX. (Or
there are no good programmes at a reasonable price) When no one can
contribute, there will be no savings and IBX will die.

>Absolutely nothing has changed concerning IBX in the past 4 months. The
>situation is identical to what it was back in April in all aspects except I
am
>not contracted by the NewCo to continue development.

Calling open sourcing IBX, you not contracted by NewCo no change is a
understatement.
Are you contracted by Borland at the moment ?

John