Subject Firebird project on sourceforge
Author Mark O'Donohue
Hi Mike

After some private discussions, I have put in a request to register the
names,

Firebird Ashes and
Firebird.

as projects on sourceforge.

I think that it will take some time to settle on a suitable name (there are
too many people in the world - and all the good names are usually already
taken).

There have been a number of suggestions, and even one already registered
(White Knight - I think). So these may be temporary depending upon how
things evolve.

There have been a number of suggestions about how to proceed here. And a
number of people have suggested things in these groups. Including the mers
CVS repository.

Source Forge I think provides good infrastructure support for opensource
projects - mainly becuase most of the projects I have followed have migrated
there.

I was nominally thinking of "Firebird Ashes" as the initial project for
gathering together all the released interbase code and probably getting it to
a basic compile stage.

Then after discussion and agreement on what sort of "derived product" and
"derived licence" is allowable and desired. We can consolidate it under the
newer "Firebird" project.

What does everyone think of this?

Regards

Mark

PS: The name apparently originally came from Ann, as a suggestion. I kinda
like it but as I said before, with these things you usually find its a car or
something already.