Subject Response from Ted Shelton
Author Robert F. Tulloch
Robert:

Thanks for your note.

Ann and ISC proposed to have an independent company from Inprise and
asked
for the technology, trademarks, and for a venture capital investment.
There
were, in addition, a number of legal requirements that they placed
around
the transfer of these funds and the intellectual property. A
significant
effort was made to reach a middle ground in our negotiations with Ann.
However we were not able to bridge the differences in opinion. As we
have
an obligation to our shareholders and employees in addition to our
obligation to our customers, we could not simply agree to ANY conditions
that a third party was going to put on a transaction of this kind. The
conditions had to be reasonable and at the end of the day, both sides
left
the table without a compromise having been reached.

I can certainly understand your concerns, as we are still in the process
of
putting together our plans for continued support for the product.
However,
I believe that we have done the right thing by going ahead and releasing
the
source code to the community. We hope that many successful companies
are
developed around InterBase and by releasing the source code right away,
we
hope that those companies can get started on their business plans. I
want
to continue to do the right thing -- for all of my stakeholders
(employees,
customers, and shareholders). Your advice on what we can do to support
you
would be welcome.

yours,

Ted Shelton