Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Interbase connection limit and Support relatedProblems
Author Dalton Calford
Hi Andre,

Andre Mostert wrote:
> >A.) Is this a single server, servicing multiple remote locations (wan) or
> is
> >it only servicing 256+ connections within a single lan?
>
> Its a single Sun Solaris Enterprise 450 with 2gigs of Ram. Our clients are
> essentially fitness centres throughout
> South Africa connected via our Wan. Each club has essentally 5 potential
> users sharing a 64K link onto our
> backbone.

Ok, so this sounds like a easier task than I thought.

> >B.) Are some of your connections for information only, ie, a website or
> piece
> >of equipment that only queries the database?
>
> The large number of connections are enquiry based on used very infrequently.

This is sounding even easier.

> >C.) How many connections does each client application make and what
> interface
> >to the database are you using (native/ibx/ibo/bde) (you may need to check
> with
> >the people who created your midas package to find out)
>
> BDE, this is where the architecture implemented by our developers was wrong.
> Each Client could spawn
> several connections out of the middle tier.

Ok, first off, get ahold of Jason Wharton, his IBO objects could convert
your bde to a native api app in very little time. This will ease some
problems and is a very simple update.

> >D.) Do you have areas in your database where the data can be split into
> >different databases?
> >

> Not with out a lot of work

From what you have told me already, this is going to be simpler than I
thought, but I also forgot to ask the size of your database in MB and
how much of a change is done by each club?

Before we go on this thread much longer, I must ask the members of the
list if they want us to take the discussion off-list.

This is a good example application to show how you can scale up a
database, but, it will take a fair amount of bandwidth.

Let us know people.

Andre if you could get me the numbers on database size and per location
data delta's (how much actual dml data gets processed by a location) we
can get to the next stage.

regards

Dalton