Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Select procedures
Author Chris Jewell
> From: Jim Starkey <jas@...>
> Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 15:39:47 -0400
> The current quality of the InterBase tool set is abysmal. IBConsole's
> "set term" is a crime against computingdom.

Amen.

There is a cure for isql's "set term" in what was intended to become
the eventual 6.1-or-later marion repository before the, um,
"turbulence" in December.

The modification tolerates SPs and triggers written the old way with
"set term" for backward compatibility, understands which ";" ends the
define|alter trigger|procedure statement, and extracts SPs and
triggers either with or without SET TERM (so you can extract your DDL
on a new system, then feed it back into an old one.) I'll merge that
change into the CVS tree after we release 6.0 and get the source out
to the community.

Then someone can apply the same logic to IBConsole. I've never
looked at IBConsole, but I suspect it's written in Delphi. I switched
from Pascal to Modula-2 (in case anyone remembers what St Nik did
between Pascal and Oberon) ca. 1984, but I'm sure I can remember the
need for extra "begin" statements long enough to perform the
translation. <grin>

Of course, if anyone cares to start over and provide a complete and
rational replacement for both IBConsole and ISQL, I'll be more than
happy to see my small emendation fall by the wayside.

--
Chris Jewell developer/sysadmin voice: 831-431-6531
cjewell@... InterBase Software fax: 831-431-6510