Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Select procedures
Author Helen Borrie
At 10:32 AM 08-06-00 -0400, you wrote:

>The design (not the concept) of the select form of the InterBase
>stored procedures is, in my ever humble opinion, is complete crock.
>It is, in fact, a computational form of a view and should have been
>implemented under the aegis of the view mechanism. With named arguments
>and appearing in rdb$relations, rdb$fields, and rdb$relation_fields
>(and the respective ODBC/JDBC meta data calls) it would have been
>easier to use, easier to implement, and much easier to wrap with
>intelligent code.
>
>It's not high on my list of priorities, but I would like to see a
>view based mechanism defined and the current mechanism deprecated.
>This will have to wait until after the great Java vs. embedded Pearl
>vs. XML shootout.

How would a view deal with a SP that does other stuff inside the loop (e.g.
insert log records, update tables) as well as output a dataset?

-- H
http://www.interbase2000.org
"Ask not what your free, open-source database can do for you,
but what you can do for your free, open-source database."
(J.F.K.)