Subject RE: [IB-Architect] New API: Exceptions
Author Jim Starkey
At 03:19 AM 6/7/00 -0400, Claudio Valderrama C. wrote:
>Now that you are finishing the driver...
>;-)
> Jim, is there any possibility to fake literal insertions on "memo" blobs
>that are intended to be clobs (blob sub_type text) indeed?
> In other words, when an user does
>insert into t(k, blobfield)
>values(1, 'hello, world');
>IB will answer with "field BLOB not found" or some other message I cannot
>remember. Would it be possible to be so nasty to take any corrective action
>in the driver?
> Take note this is a naive question, so answer in consequence, please.

Unfortunately, I don't touch the sql string. If you had written
it
insert into t (k, blobfield) value (1, ?)

and assigned "hello, world" to the parameter, it would work fine.
In my new enlighted persona, a blob is a storage mechanism, not a
data type, and appropriate conversions are automatic and invisible.

But here a question for you and the other InterArchies: If in the
above example you assign the int32 to the parameter what should
show up in the blob? And if the problem with a de facto clob,
would the answer be different.

Your replies should be well thought out and carefully worded. You
may start writing.

Jim Starkey