Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Database names: Hair trigger
Author Adam Clarke
Apologies for the last post seems my e-mail proggy has a hair trigger :/

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Karwin" <bill@...>

> > I believe the sugestion Bill is making is not to remove the capacity to
do
> > this on a database by database basis but to ADD the capacity to define
> them
> > on a system wide level. Almost like inheritance.
>
> That is what I'm suggesting, but I wouldn't call it inheritance. It's
> merely like having an "INI" file that declares certain functions by
default
> each time you create a new database.

I didn't call it inheritance, I used an analogy. In any case I was thinking
of something a little more integrated. It seems to me that placing this
functionality in isql is limited as a complete solution. What if I have a
system that uses another method of creating a database (like with IBPerl?)
and I want to make sure that all database creations are given the same
default functionality?

For example in an ISP setting some users might greate their DB's using a
shell account with isql while some might use a web application. I'd rather
that Interbase know about my chosen defaults at a integrated level not
depending on which tool I choose to create a database.

Am I off the scent here?

Adam Clarke
Principal
Strategic Data Pty Ltd