Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Fw: Mischievous SYSDBA
Author Jim Starkey
At 08:37 AM 5/30/00 -0600, Tim Uckun wrote:

>There ought to exists a mechanism such that only the application I have
>written should have any access to the data and schema.
>

>That's it. The file ought to be utterly useless to anything and anybody
>other then my application. My application will interact with the data and
>show the results to my customer if, where, when and how I want.

Is the application restricted to the native InterBase API? Or must
the solution work with ODBC, JDBC, BDE, etc? Does there need to
be an escape for third party report writers, etc? Do you need
to be able to back it up?

What threats should the mechanism reasonable protect against? A
well meaning but misadvised user? An application program wanting
to write an extension? A competing developer?

Jim Starkey