Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Backward compatability with previous versions of gdb files
Author Dominique Louis
Jim Starkey wrote:

> At 02:34 AM 4/30/00 -0000, Dominique Louis wrote:
> >Hi,
> > just wondering if there were any plans to make any new servers
> >compatible with older gdb files.
> >The first time the server encounters an older version gdb file, it
> >should prompt the user if this file should be updated to the newer
> >version. If this cannot be built into the server maybe someone could
> >point me in the direction of where such a handy utility would be.
> >The idea ( as good as it is ) of backing up my old database before
> >upgrading to the newer version of the server basically takes too much
> >planning. Most users would like to plug and play the new version of
> >the server.
> >If interbase is to make it as a minimum administration database it
> >has
> >to support backward compatability in some way without necessitating a
> >back-up before hand ( though I have said this is a good practice ).
> >Maybe the new server ( I don't mean IB 6 ) can offer to make a back
> >up
> > before doing the conversion as well.
> >

> Backwards compatibility has always been part of the Interbase
> architecture. All calls go through what is prosaically called
> the Y-valve (story on request) which determines which subsystem
> to pass the calls through. The Y-valve actually has no intelligence--
> it just calls successive subsystems to find one willing to handle
> the connect string. Among the system systems polled (at various
> points in Interbase history):
>
> 1. TCP remote
> 2. DECnet remote
> 3. Apollo Domain remote (sigh, long gone)
> 4. LAN Manager remote
> 5. Current engine version
> 6. Prior engine version
> 7. Even more prior engine version (we rarely supported more than 2)
> 8. Oracle gateway
> 9. Rdb gateway
>
> A number of these have whithered away, the but the architecture
> remains in place.
>
> So the answer is: Of course!

Does the "of Course" mean that I should be able to read a 5.6 database with
IB 6.0 without doing a back up first or that this feature will be
implemented in a future version? Because if you mean the former, when I
try and open a 5.6 db with IB Console I get the following message...
Unsupported on-disk structure for file C:\ARCHIVOS DE
PROGRAMA\BORLAND\DELPHI4\PROJECTS\REMS\DATA\REMS.GDB; found 9, support 10
If the console knows that the db is version 9 and supports 10 then it
should prompt me if it should upgrade the db to 10 thus allowing me to open
the database without too much fuss.
Similar to the way Delphi asks to upgade form structure to the latest
version when you open older version forms for the first time.
If IBConsole has this capability to automagically upgrade my 5.6 db to 6.0,
please let me know how I can achieve it.

--
Ciao,

Dominique Louis
Delphi Developer and aspiring Delphi Game Developer.
** To Do Nothing is to Collaborate with the oppressor **
** I like my reality undiluted! **
From . . . . . . . : Dominique Louis
Email. . . . . . . : Dominique@...
Company. . . . . . : Savage Software Solutions
Web Site . . . . . : http://www.SavageSoftware.com.au
Delphi Games Site. : http://www.SavageSoftware.com.au/delphi
G4D Mirrror Site . : http://www.SavageSoftware.com.au/delphi/g4d
Delphi JEDI Site . : http://www.delphi-jedi.org