Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Backward compatability with previous versions of gdb files
Author Doug Chamberlin
At 4/30/00 02:25 PM (Sunday), Dominique Louis wrote:
>Does the "of Course" mean that I should be able to read a 5.6 database with
>IB 6.0 without doing a back up first or that this feature will be
>implemented in a future version?

Yes, it does. The only reason I can think of that this would not work is
that you are specifying a SQL dialect which is not supported by a 5.6
database. Since version 6 is the first version to support dialects this may
be a new problem which is not anticipated. Are you using dialect 1? I think
that is the one compatible with 5.6 databases.

>If IBConsole has this capability to automagically upgrade my 5.6 db to
>6.0,please let me know how I can achieve it.

No, it is not capable of this. The historical method of doing this is to
use the GBAK utility. Use GBak from the 5.6 release to backup and the GBAK
from the 6.0 release to restore. That will bring your database up to 6.0 level.