Subject Re: [IB-Architect] UDF replacement: native shared libraries vs. Java
Author Tim Uckun
At 12:09 AM 4/7/00 -0300, you wrote:

>I know I will run code *I* write on IB. UDFs are a great way to add
>functionality to an existing database; I certainly wouldn't want to
>recompile my database server because I want an extra function.

Just thinking out loud here...

What if instead of having triggers and stored procedures the database could
send events or signals. that way your code could hook into the database
events yet be running outside the database altogether. Of course this could
also be completely language neutral so you could code in PERL if you wanted
to..

Leave the database engine light and simple.
Tim Uckun
Mobile Intelligence Unit.
"There are some who call me TIM?"