Subject RE: [IB-Architect] Syntax for case insensitive sort
Author Claudio Valderrama C.
As I understood some text, that "thing" known as JDataStore let's you
define indexes with several different properties.
Declaring an attribute of this kind (case/nocase) in the field means the
field is fixed to this attribute. This may be desirable for some application
whereas for flexibility, it can turn into a nightmare. I prefer a set of
named indexes or new collation orders/drivers to handle the
upper/lower/nocase/accented issue. The behavior should be overridable on the
ORDER BY clause.
CASE and NOCASE are nice words but they seem to be used as the CASE-OF
Pascal statements. I would be better to have a peek at the SQL99 revision
(for the ones that are able to digest it) before using a word that's
reserved for other use. Contrarily to C++, where "&" and "*" may mean
several things, SQL reserved words seem to mean only one thing.
BTW, can I know why Interbase only allows a database-wide charset and not a
whole default collation order?

C.
---------
Claudio Valderrama C.
Ingeniero en Informática - Consultor independiente
http://members.xoom.com/cvalde