Subject Re: [IB-Architect] Interbase Culture and Open Source
Author Markus Kemper
I think I have been slightly misunderstood.

My goal is simply this. Over the years our community has
complained (and rightfully so) that we lack case studies,
performance metrics, product comparisons, etc. The stuff
that decision making management types look for when they
are reviewing a developer's preferred choice of RDBMS.

A technical person is often going to choose what he/she
knows best (technically) or what RDBMS best fits an
applications needs. Where the executive manager signing
off the cash is often going to go with a name he
recognizes. My past customers have told me that it is
hard to sell InterBase into the upper management layer
because of name recognition and credibility.

In order to change this we need to gain credibility in the
market as a player with the bigger database companies.
This will take time and will likely be best done by gaining
more small to medium business first. It is not my set focus
to attack the Oracle's but, we cannot simply hide or run from
them either. We've already tried that one with our
'embedded' strategy. And the 'embedded' branding was beat
up on this list just a few days ago by many. Fortunately,
there is no InterBase.Lite but, it makes postitioning the
product a bit tougher.

How do we best position a product (InterBase) that is
so very flexible and powerful. Small enough to tuck
away yet powerful enough to grind it out.

All that mumbo jumbo said, I am simply looking for
case studies (enterprise level and not) to help those
having trouble selling InterBase into tougher markets
where they have been denied before.

So tell me what you are doing with IB and let's get it
up on the web for all to see. :)

Markus