Subject [IBO] Re: Trouble with Insert Into
Author squidsrus85
--- In IBObjects@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...> wrote:

> Examples prepared in 1998 for InterBase 5, which was somewhat less
> strict about standard syntax than Firebird 13 years on! ;-)

But Helen, (and I noted the "wink")

That's just another example of the Firebird esoterica I am experiencing. I have no idea when 1.5 was superseded, but I am sure it was more than a few weeks back.

Can you understand how frustrating it is for someone trying to use Firebird being guided by the **Firebird Help site,** when some/all examples are incorrect?

How much effort would it take to keep the **Help** files up to date and correct?

The use of single-quotes or double-quotes is a basic syntax issue giving an error message of,

Column unknown
1
at line 3, column 1

That is meaningless gobbledy-gook if I believe I am following the correct syntax from the **Firebird Help site.** It was not until I posted a link to that Help page example that Markus (I think) pointed out I should be using single quotes. DUH!!

It is issues such as this that I am sure people are passing Firebird over for other open source SQL options.

Dave