Subject Re: [IBO] Re: Trouble with Insert Into
Author Markus Ostenried
On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 23:18, squidsrus85 <squidsrus85@...> wrote:
> I had to laugh at the "use single quotes." At w3schools I had done some reading and saw they used single quotes so I used single quotes. But then after looking for some examples to follow at...
>
> http://www.ibphoenix.com/resources/documents/search/doc_316

Not sure why the replication triggers use double quotes for values,
maybe they were generated by a cross-database tool.

> I noticed the examples use double quotes, so I figured they must know what to use so I swapped them in. LOL Just getting ready for yet another train wreck when I got the "active" solved.
>
> I have changed "active" to "is_active" and the problem has shifted, but at least I have passed that one.

A simple way to avoid reserved words is using prefixes for every
table, like e.g.

create table accounts (
acc_name ...
, acc_active ...
)

This can be helpful when you have a SELECT statement which uses JOIN
on several tables. Quotes around identifiers make your code look ugly
:P
And when you do something like
FieldByName('acc_name').AsString := 'some name';
you'll always know which field you're accessing.