Subject Re: [IBO] IBOAdmin to backup/restore a Firebird database
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:07 AM 16/05/2007, you wrote:
>Hi
>
>Sorry I think I got my wording wrong. I thought that both IBOAdmin and
>Gbak used the services API to do backup / restores and this code must be
>run locally. But I could be totally wrong !

Not totally! :-) The Services API invokes a miscellany of embedded
function calls, macros and what-have-you in the server's code,
including the modules that are ALSO used to compile the utility
programs (gbak, gsec, gstat, et al.). Thus, when you make a Services
API call from a remote node, you are indeed invoking execution that
is to be run "locally" at the server.

It's (more or less) equivalent to invoking gbak from a remote node using the
-service_mgr switch. As such, any remote services call must provide
the appropriate access credentials - in the case of IBOBackupService,
for example, that means the username and password of the SYSDBA or
the database owner, since the gbak code does not allow any other
users to perform backups.

To "rob" who posted the original message, please be aware that it is
very bad list etiquette to cross-post.

Helen