Subject Re: [IBO] Detecting a read only database
Author George
--- In IBObjects@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...> wrote:

> At 07:02 AM 18/08/2006, you wrote:
> >--- In IBObjects@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@> wrote:
> > >
> > > You must be using *some* TIB_Connection descendant. Read the
> > > Characteristics property:
> > >
> > > e.g.
> > >
> > > if IBODatabase1.Characteristics.dbReadOnly then
> > >

> >Thanks, Helen. Unfortunatley when I do this, I get a read access
> >violation in C++Builder6.
> >
> >void __fastcall TForm1::DBConnectionAfterConnect(
> > TIB_Connection *Sender)
> >{
> > if (Sender->Characteristics->dbReadOnly){
> > }
> >}
> >
> >Seems that copying the Characteristics structure generates an
> >exception. Anyone out there using Builder have this problem?
>
> I can't comment on Builder, but you *will* get an AV if you try to
> read the return structures from an unsuccessful connection. Is
your
> Connect procedure trapping for that? In this code sample I don't
> even see the Connected property being tested...
>
> Helen

Just on the C++Builder issue:

Something is nagging at the back of my mind around the issue of
parameters passed into an event handler 'losing' their identity on
occasion. I have found this with areas other than IBObjects and I
suspect it has nothing to do with IBObjects more to do with memory
handling by C++Builder.

I could be wrong because it is a half remembered problem. If it comes
back to me I will let you know.

George