Subject Re: [IBO] How to know the size of result set before fetching?
Author Lester Caine
Eyal wrote:

> Am I doing something wrong?
No

> Is there any way (aside from a seperate COUNT(*) query) to get the
> number of rows in the result set on the server?
No
On the PHP stuff I always run a 'COUNT(REC_ID)' before fetching the
first 10 records. In IBO the same approach will work, but it is not
designed to happen automatically.
Basically - until you have looked at and counted all the valid records,
you do not know the count. So you need to run the query to get the
answers. Running a simple COUNT can give you an idea of the number of
records to be returned, and then you can decide what to do next - fetch
all, or just grab the first X records while displaying the 1 to X of 'lots'.

--
Lester Caine