Subject Re: [IBO] How to skip over columns in an IB_GRID
Author Helen Borrie
At 07:30 PM 3/05/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>Depending on the current state of a data entry screen, I need to be able
>to skip over some columns within the grid and prevent editing in those
>columns.
>
>1. I have tried the IB_Grid.MoveCol to try and jump over the fields I
>did not want the user to access, but can find now supporting doc on how
>to use this. Can cause some great stack overflows with improper use.

No, it's not what you want. With the IBO native controls, the data
determines the behaviour of controls, not the other way around.

>2. Also tried IB_Query.FieldReadOnly string list setting. I can get
>that to work during an Insert of a record, but if I try to go back and
>put a record into Edit mode, then I get a "Trying to Edit a Read Only
>Field" exception. Is there a way to get around this exception? I do
>want to see the fields within the grid, just don't want them editing
>them.

Are you using this property properly? What you want is

MyDataset.FieldsReadOnly=ThatField=NOEDIT

(No spaces between the elements!!)

Set this property whilst the dataset is in dssBrowse, e.g. in the
BeforeEdit event handler.

Helen