Subject Re: [IBO] Firebird Server check
Author Lester Caine
Vahan Yoghoudjian wrote:

> I would like to run things in the ideal way, which I think as you
> suggested would be to run the server on a separate machine, but sometimes we
> have to give up to the needs of customers who always think to economize and
> have one machine less in their offices.
> Some customers are very open and comprehensive but others no (especially
> in the market around me), all those technical reasons to have a server on a
> separate machine means nothing to them. And since the customer is always
> right, I think sometimes we have to "lean" in front of them...

No problem, as long as they are happy with an external connection, you
only need one machine on a site even running separate server. Normally
have WinVNC (or Radmin if the customer twists my arm) running as well (
because I don't trust Microsoft's remote access ;) ) and so I can sort
out the customer without leaving the desk. If you have the server
running, you can look at data without interrupting the customer, but
they have to trust you to allow that sort of access :)

> Coming back to your suggestion, is it possible to have one compiled
> version of my application that checks if the server is embedded or not and
> run accordingly?
Can't see that there should be a problem, but never used embedded so
don't know HOW ;)

--
Lester Caine