Subject Re: [IBO] System Cannot Find File
Author Helen Borrie
At 06:44 PM 27/07/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>New computer running XP Pro
>Installed Firebird 1.5.1.4481
>
>Try to connect to a db on the local hard drive and get
>an error message of:
>
>-------------------
>Unable to Connect to Database "ISC ERROR CODE:335544344
>
>ISC ERROR MESSAGE:
>I/O error for file "C:\OFFROAD\IB\ORINVENTORY.FDB"
>Error while trying to open file
>The system cannot find the path specified.
>-------------------
>
>The file and path names are correct, as are the user/password.
>
>I created a new project to test the problem and
>dropped a new ib_connection component on the form with
>two buttons. Below is the code for both button. They
>both return the error above.

The most likely cause of the problem is that you haven't installed the Fb
1.5 client. Check the version string on the gds32.dll that is in your
system32 directory. If the build number in the string doesn't match the
build number of fbserver.exe, then you have the wrong client.

The Fb 1.5 client is called fbclient.dll and is located in the \bin dir of
the Firebird installation. For IBO, it's sufficient to move a copy of
fbclient.dll to the system32 dir and rename it to gds32.dll.

>I have been able to access the file (both local and remote)
>with EMS Interbase/Firebird Manager when it is run on the
>local computer, but not when I try to access the file from
>other computers. XP's Firewall is turned off and I can see
>the FireBird port of 3050 when I scan the ports.
>
>Any Ideals welcome.

Same story. The remote machines must have the right client too. For
non-IBO apps using Borland components, you need to do more than just rename
the client: you have to run the program instclient.exe to have a special
version of gds32.dll built. Documented in the Fb 1.5 release notes and
there is also a readme in the doc directory. Fb 1.5 is new software. It
isn't InterBase and it isn't Fb 1. That's why there are 70+ pages of
release notes available in 7 languages...

Helen