Subject RE: [IBO] Remote server disconnect
Author Eric Tishler
Not sure if there is a component that does this automatically. But I have done exactly what you describe to several of my client/server modules to make them more robust. Checking for the validity of the connection, or handling the exception is where I detect the disconnect. I also use a thread to do the reconnect. It took some work to get it right, but once I did, it has behaved very nicely.

Eric Tishler
Software Architect
Resolute Partners, LLC
Phone: 203.271.1122
Fax: 203.271.1460
etishler@...

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Martin [mailto:roberto@...]
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 3:03 PM
To: IBObjects@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [IBO] Remote server disconnect

Hi, All!

This is one of those "There must be an easier way!" things.

I am connected to a remote DB via a TIB_Connection. Every thing works
fine.

Now I pull my eithernet cable from the back of my computer, simulating a
remote
server reboot.

make a request and get an exception.
so far so good.

now I plug back in my eithernet connection and make another request. I
get another exception, and will keep getting them until I disconnect and
reconnect the database.

the only way around this that I can figure is to write an error handler
that fires off a thread that trys and retrys to reconnect the database
when an error of this type is encountered.

Am I missing a setting or component that will do this for me?

Thanks in advance
Rob.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129i8l8m6/M=298184.5022502.6152625.3001176/D=groups/S=1705007183:HM/EXP=1087067034/A=2164331/R=0/SIG=11eaelai9/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60183351> click here