Subject Re: [IBO] IBOAdmin
Author Eddie Bush
Arn/Paul,

Is there licensing that prevents distribution of the DLL? Please tell me that isn't the case ...

Point of Curiosity: What would be the steps to directly calling API functions from Delphi? I'm guessing:
1) Load the library (LoadLibrary)
2) Establish pointers into the DLL (GetAddress)
3) Make calls

I've given some thought to trying to build my own Service API components and/or methods for cross-platform (IB/FB/Yaffil) use of the services with included result codes. If/when I get some time I may try to build an IBO implementation for this and hand it over to Jason for inclusion in IBO. That way I wouldn't have to deal with learning the relevant API *and* learn to muck with the DLLs. I think I could probably handle one or the other, but do not like the idea of doing both at the same time ...

Personally, I'm mystified that - not one but TWO (IBX & IBO Admin) - people have implemented a component set for the services API and have not thought that the return from these calls were relevant! You simply cannot do a backup/restore/<whatever else> programatically, and handle errors in a clean way, without knowing what happened when you called the service! Obviously, these folks come from a different school of thought than do I. I was taught to propogate any relevant information back through a return code or something. You might not could implement it as a return code, but there should be a LastError property of the component or something that let you get it -- or an "OnError" event handler maybe.

If the licensing of Paul's DLL isn't such that I can distribute it (saw no licensing info) I may have to do this "sooner" rather than "later".

Enough of a rant :-) Where did you find a license for Paul's DLLs, Arn? I'm very curious to know what prevents it from being distributed.

Thanks!

Eddie Bush
----- Original Message -----
From: Arn
To: IBObjects@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, March 21, 2004 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: [IBO] IBOAdmin

Hi Paul, thanks for the reply.

I already know Your great backup-restore dll.

Works fine, special mention to the remarkable status property.
Your solution solve the problem of Eddy Bush, some days ago.

But I cannot use it, because I don't have the rights to copy the Dll
necessary to run Your work.

I can ONLY work with 1 exe and the Fdb.

If things change I'll use it. Thanks.

Ciao
Arnaldo

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0403-14, 03/18/2004
Tested on: 3/21/2004 12:51:09 PM