Subject RES: [IBO] New User: converting from Pdox do IB/IBO
Author Listas
Ok. I understood very well.
But, I have few time. Index corruption becames unsuportable.

In some TIBOtables, I set the SQLWhere propertie in runtime, before the
FindKey, with satisfatory results.
Is this right?

Atenciosamente
Hércules Russano
HRsoft Informática - São Gonçalo - RJ - Brasil
(0xx21) 2601-3970 - 3246-2342
http://www.hrsoft.com.br

-----Mensagem original-----
De: Helen Borrie [mailto:helebor@...]
Enviada em: quarta-feira, 17 de março de 2004 12:59
Para: IBObjects@yahoogroups.com
Assunto: Re: [IBO] New User: converting from Pdox do IB/IBO

At 04:18 PM 17/03/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I feel I want to jump in here ;-)
>
>Everything you say is true, but IBObject is sold as the easiest
>solution to change from Paradox to Firebird.

No. In fact, there is no way to make a Paradox app into a Firebird app
and
have it work decently. Paradox and Firebird are just completely
different.

What IBO *does* sell itself as, is the easiest route to get from the BDE
a proper connectivity interface for IB/Fb. You're confusing the BDE
with
Paradox.

>That means, I hope, that a lot of behind the scenes optimizations have
>been performed to present the existing application with a Paradox feel
>- even if they are TTable's, while internally the correct client/server

>database actions are performed.

Certainly not. You can't do magic to turn a tricycle into a Porsche (or
Porsche into a tricycle!!). IBO is *not* designed to make IB/Fb feel
like
Paradox and it never says that it is. It would defeat its own purpose
if
it tried to do that. The transition that IBO performs well is to get
you
from IB/Fb + the BDE to IB/Fb minus the BDE. Transforming your database

from Paradox to Firebird is a whole different can of worms.

In fact, if you are doing the transition from Paradox to Firebird at the

same time as you are doing the transition from the BDE to IBO, you have
more than double the learning curve. The first thing you have to shake
off
is the "table" notion. Fb/IB are all about SQL, abstract, normalized
relations, server-based computing, thin clients, small, fast packages of

data on demand...everything that Paradox isn't.

>So a FindKey should be quick no matter what. No ? If not, we might as
>well not use IBObjects.

FindKey is a desktop database technique. It presupposes that you have
the
entire contents of a table in memory. With client/server databases, you

don't. Your application code is all about queries - targeting data with

WHERE clauses, linking relations with joins. delegating searches and
operations to the server. If you need the Paradox architecture, then
give
up on client/server. They are not compatible. And there is no
"PdxObjects".

>That does not mean you are incorrect as the difference between C/S and
>Paradox of course.

Sorry, Erik, no magic medicine. Different architecture, different
techniques. There is no escaping that.

Helen

___
IB Objects - direct, complete, custom connectivity to Firebird or
InterBase