Subject Re: [IBO] Two questions: about the parser and about the filter
Author Helen Borrie
At 08:30 AM 7/03/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am new to IBObjects (currently testing it out by converting one my
>programs from BDE to Firebird). So plese forgive me if I ask questions
>maybe present in the help or the docs.
>
>1/
>I noticed in another thread that someone was talking about a IBObjects parser.
>Just for my own curiosity: is IBObjects parsing the SQL statements we are
>writing somewhere ? Why ?

Because IBO is all about passing parameters, not using table
components. IBO does multiple level parsing as a strategy to reduce the
amount of requerying required as you browse through a set that is larger
than the row buffer. This is especially important if you *must* keep using
a table component...and it also to refine the contents of the dataset
buffers, construct SQL for I/U/D operations and prepare statements for your
filtering.

>2/
>Just wandering: the filter we apply in a TIBOTable. Is this translated into
>a select query ?

Even a TIBOTable is a select query - the parser looks after it for you
(select * from... and juggling the buffers). There is no other way to read
data from an SQL server. The architecture is totally different from Paradox.

And, yes, the filters are WHERE conditions.

Helen