Subject RE: [IBO] Searching into Formatted memo fields
Author Vahan Yoghoudjian
Thank you for your replies Helen and Jason

I think point 1 is the most appropriate. I will try to dig into RichEdit
codes to find out how rich text is converted to plain text like Helen
suggested.

Point 2 would be much space consumming knowing that I will be using this
search on a stock item table that might reach to 20,000-30,000 records with
some clients, but in case point 1 doesnt work I think this would be our best
choice left

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Wharton [mailto:jwharton@...]
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 7:38 AM

> I have a TIB_RichEdit connected to a memo field.
>
> I want to use a Query to search in this memo field, but
> everytime I use
> words like 'font', 'size', 'color' as search criterias I have
> a result set
> even if I don't have those words in the field value. Is there
> a way I can
> search into Formatted text by using a query by ignoring the
> text format
> tags?

None that I know of. There are three routes you can take:

1) Write a blob filter and somehow invoke it via the text searching
mechanism. (I have no idea how or if you can do this.)

2) Maintain a separate column that contains only the plain text version of
the field and search on it in place of the rtf version.

3) Use the full text searching mechanisms available in IBO and pass it the
plain text version of the rtf stuff so that it builds its indexes using only
the text content.

Jason Wharton

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor