Subject Re: [IBO] Acessing an IB server over the Internet
Author Helen Borrie
At 01:30 AM 23/01/2004 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi folks!
>
>Does anyone really know how can I make a computer running IB "see"
>another one (running IB, too) over the Internet (in order each of
>them can access and alter data on each other's database)?

Alan already answered your network questions.
With respect to "servers accessing and altering data in each other's
database", it doesn't work like that. *Databases*, managed by *servers*,
are accessed by *client applications* (those are the programs you write
yourself). So, in one model (of many possible), you could write a client
service (an application program) that runs on one server, capable of
querying a database on another server (or other databases on multiple
servers), do something with the data in each and update them all, in a
single, 2PC transaction. This is typically what replication services do.

Database server A can't perform any operations on databases on database
server B.

/hb